On 11 October 2018, the Heinrich Böll Foundation in cooperation with the Younger Generation Leaders Network (YGLN) organised a night owl session on nuclear risks at the Italian Embassy in Berlin. Around 25 young and mid-career nuclear and security policy experts were brought together to discuss some of the most pressing challenges to global security. The group included participants from Germany, the UK, the US, Russia and Ukraine.
Topics of discussion ranged from:
- The risk of cyber attacks on nuclear weapons and facilities.
- The Ukrainian perspective on nuclear risks, particularly on the future of the INF treaty.
- The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and its possible implications for nuclear arms control and disarmament.
- Russia’s new nuclear posture.
- Ways to overcome tensions between different actors.
In addition, participants agreed that more could be done to promote female participation in disarmament processes; it is vital to better engage younger experts in the field; and to enhance mutual understanding on diverging perspectives.