The European Leadership Network is looking to recruit a new Research Director for our London office. The job forms part of the ELN senior management team alongside the Director and Deputy Director. It will be necessary to work seamlessly with these other roles to lead the ELN’s growth and increase its effectiveness and impact.
As Research Director of the ELN you will be responsible for:
- The leadership of the ELN’s policy and research output, to include:
- Identifying, in cooperation with the Director, research priorities for the organisation;
- Developing an organisational research strategy to pursue those priorities and ensuring that ELN research and commissioning is as sharply focused and timely as possible in order to influence the decision-making of governments and institutions.
- Maintaining a personal publishing and media profile through the regular writing of ELN policy briefs and research papers, and through writing research pieces and commentary for a variety of other major outlets;
- Working with the Network Development and Communications Officers to shape the ELN’s communications strategy to boost the ELN’s profile, influence and media impact.
- Acting as commissioning editor for external contributions to the ELN’s website, europeanleadershipnetwork.org.
- Helping to build further the ELN’s impact among relevant stakeholders in the UK, Europe and beyond through:
- Engaging with governments across the Euro-Atlantic area to better understand policy issues and how governments see them to most effectively target our practical recommendations and campaigning;
- Identifying emerging policy issues and analysis on which governments may value future ELN contributions to ensure that our research and commissioning is as relevant as possible;
- Meeting with and winning the confidence of key decision makers so that they and their governments/institutions are receptive to ELN advice and more open to using the ELN’s services;
- Maintaining an active network of media professionals, and providing regular and timely comment and briefings to journalists on the work of the ELN;
- Assisting with regular updates on ELN activities to all ELN stakeholders;
- Representing the ELN at conferences and through public-speaking engagements;
- Helping to shape the ELN’s pan-European events agenda.
- Playing a leading role in ELN fundraising efforts by:
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with possible funding bodies and individuals;
- Drafting, with the Director and Deputy Director, new funding proposals to go to funders;
- Drafting, with the Director and Deputy Director, reports on activities related to fulfilling existing grant requirements.
- Providing line management support to ELN Policy Fellows and interns by:
- Conducting regular supervision meetings with and offering advice and support to junior staff in the organisation;
- With the Director and Deputy Director conducting half yearly staff appraisals;
- Considering, in coordination with the Director and Operations Manager, staff training and development requirements for all staff in the organisation.
- Supporting the Director, as required, in the task of briefing the ELN Board of Directors on organisational activities.
- Advanced university degree international relations, security studies, European or Russian studies, or other related fields;
- At least five years of experience working on relevant policy issues in an international setting;
- Specific work experience on issues related to Russia-West relations is an asset;
- Demonstrable research capabilities, including publications;
- Excellent oral and written command of English; knowledge of Russian or other European languages is considered an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter to: [email protected].
- Please restrict your CV to no more than four pages (A4). This should clearly outline any relevant experience to date.
- The cover letter should detail why you would be interested in this position and explain how you meet the job requirements.
- Candidates must have permission to work in the UK.
- For more information on the European Leadership Network please visit our website at europeanleadershipnetwork.org.